Wednesday, May 12, 2004

A Soldier's Father Speaks Out

A gentleman from Virginia, proud parent of a decorated Army officer
serving
in Iraq, writes to us, "I am so fed up with the anti-American
propaganda
coming from some Americans that I wrote the open letter below. I will
appreciate it very much if you include it": [text of letter follows]

An open letter to some political partisans, especially certain
politicians
and people in the media: I have a son who is an American soldier in
Iraq.

I care very much about what affects him and his comrades in arms.

I am not fooled, when you partisans spew propaganda that helps our
enemies
and harms our soldiers, then tell us you support our troops.

I am not fooled, when you focus on, highlight, and exaggerate the
negative
things that happen in Iraq, while ignoring our positive
accomplishments,
then tell us you support our troops.

I am not fooled, when you focus attention on American soldiers killed
and
wounded in Iraq, to use these brave patriots as an anti-Iraq-war
political
football, then tell us you support our troops.

I am not fooled, when you keep criticizing why and how we invaded Iraq
-
that is done; our troops are there - then tell us you support our
troops.

I am not fooled, when you engage in constant, carping criticism of what
the
U.S. has done and is doing in Iraq, then tell us you support our
troops.

I am not fooled, when you search for and trumpet to the world anything
that
will diminish respect for our soldiers and their leaders - even when it
endangers greatly their lives, then tell us you support our troops.

I am not fooled, when you tell our soldiers and the rest of us that
they are
stuck in a "quagmire" and will suffer a Vietnam-type defeat, then tell
us
you support our troops.

I am not fooled, when you spout propaganda that undermines the morale
of our
soldiers and the American public and boosts the morale of our enemies,
then
tell us you support our troops.

You are giving aid and comfort to our nation's deadly enemies! They
know
they cannot defeat us militarily in Iraq. However, you cause them to
think
they can win here politically by breaking our will, if they kill and
wound
enough of our soldiers.

You despicable partisans! You are stimulating our enemies to attack our
soldiers and the people working with them. The blood of many Americans
and
Iraqis is already on your hands. And your hands collect more blood
every
day!

You are determined to regain the political power you have lost, and you
believe your presidential candidate and congressional candidates will
win,
if the U.S. fails in Iraq.

If your anti-American propaganda contributes to the deaths of many
Americans
and Iraqis, that is a price you are willing to make them pay. You are
pathetic and dangerous!

I am not fooled, when you contemptible politicians and other political
partisans, including many in the media, tell us you support our troops.
I
know that is a lie!

I am not fooled, when you claim spreading your pernicious, divisive,
anti-American venom makes you patriotic. I know it does not - and I
know you
are not!

No comments: